Wednesday 6 June 2007

The Mulba Bryant Story

The Mulba Bryant story shows that small acts of generosity can be life-changing for the recipient. There is no doubt that the money Mulba was given from Port Hawkesbury is what got him back on his feet! Following are excerpts from a letter sent to Bentley Chapman at Christmas in 2006.

Highlight of Ten Year Experience 1996-2006

Dear Ben,

Today is my son's birthday. He is exactly 30 years old today. Beside, it has been about ten and half years since you, your parents and the many good friends in your community facilitated my transport from Abidjan to Koyamah, republic of Guinea. Ben, my time in Abidjan are days and months that I will never forget you and your family. This is the time, I think, our friendship should be firm for the mutual benefit of us all.

1. Koyama Guinea
While in Koyama, I was engaged in gardening and fishing for sustainability. My wife was engaged in baking corn bread. These three activities served as the main sources of income for us during the first three months when I joined my family in 1996.

You may recall that I bought some seeds with portion of the money you gave me. Ben, I have not grown RADDISH before, but I managed to grow some in Koyama. I had only one buyer, Mr. Hegroe, a white man who worked with one of the NGOs in Koyama. It was he who made it possible for me to call you in Masanta.

2. Masanta Guinea
Before the end of 1996, I was fortunate to get a teaching job with IRC in Masanta where I taught english for about three months. While in Masanta, my family could not maintain the garden but rather went in to harvest.

3. Back to Koyama Again
By January 1997, I was transferred to Koyama to teach at the high school. I taught English, math and economics.

4. Zorzor, Liberia
By September 1997, when, things were relatively calm in Liberia and the school year had come to a close, my family and I moved back to Liberia in our district headquarter, Zorzor. When we arrived, the roof of my house that I built between 1979 - 1982 was all gone - the rebels had broken it down and sold the zinc in Guinea.

I spent about three weeks in Zorzor and later moved to Monrovia in search of a job.

5. Monrovia, Liberia
When I came to Monrovia, I visited my former office (National Investment Commission (NIC)) and was immediately reinstated as a Project Director. While in this position, I built a small house (blue and white house in the picture). I also got promoted from Project Director to Senior Economist. Ben, when I got through with the house in 1999, I sent for my family. Today we all are living together on 2.5 lots in Monrovia.

6. Cuttington University, Liberia
Early 2000, I left NIC and joined Cuttington as a lecturer. By 2001, I was promoted as Assistant Prof. of Economics and Management. In 2002, I won the professor of the year award and also chaired several committees at the University. I also served as acting dean of the business college for six months. By 2004, I was promoted to the position of Administrator for one year.

7. Monrovia, Liberia
Early 2006, my wife got sick and has not recovered up to now. Because of her illness I requested a transfer to Monrovia. This request has not been granted and I am presently in Monrovia with my sick wife and without a job again.

Though I am not gainfully employed at the moment, I am however participating in a comprehensive food security and nutrition survey currently going on in Monrovia. The survey will last for only one month - December. In other words, I am again on the job market. I am however hopeful that after the coming holidays, God's willing, I will find a good job. I am now in computer school at the age of 58 - what a gap!!

My son has finished college and is working with one of the commercial banks in Monrovia. My daughter, who is now 32 is engaged in small business operations. We are all doing fine. The three small boys in the picture are my grandchildren. The oldest of the three and the youngest are my daughter's, while the younger/older is the son of my son.

My daughter is the girl next to my wife in the same picture with the three grandsons. The last big girl is my son's girlfriend. The other elderly boy is my daughter's boyfriend.

The other picture which was taken by a small table-market carries my son in a white t-shirt. He and his friends have just come from the beach. Some of the people in the pictures live with us and others don't.

Again, I want to say thank you very much Ben and hope to hear from you soon.

Merry Merry X-mas and a Happy New Year, 2007!!!

Many greetings to the children, your wife and all the friendly people of Canada. Bye for now. Bye Bye

Greetings,
Mulba