Friday 25 March 2016

ORDER OF SERVICE-GOOD FRIDAY MARCH 25TH, 2016



The Congregations of St. Mark’s and St. David’s
United Church of Canada
Port Hawkesbury/Port Hastings, NS
Ministers: The Whole People of God; Nan Corrigan D. M.
Minister of Music: Al Fougere
March 25th, 2016-Good Friday


We Gather to Worship God

Lighting of the Christ Candle in the Lenten Triad

One: The peace of Christ be with you. All: And with your spirit

*Introit              Jesus, Remember Me                VU 148Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.


Good News of Good Friday For quiet reflection as we gather
The story can seem predictable. And yet for all the predictability we read the story again year after year, and marvel at the selflessness of Jesus, prepared to stop at nothing – not even death – to proclaim God’s unconditional and never-ending love. 
 From Seasons of the Spirit™
SeasonsFusion Lent • Easter 2016 Copyright © Wood Lake Publishing Inc. 2015,, p.10
As the Passion story is read today from John's Gospel, pause and notice things that surprise you.

Call to Worship           At the cross
What is Good Friday and why are we gathered here?”
It is a day of contradictions, to be sure.
Now is the “acceptable time” of which Paul spoke
on Ash Wednesday (2 Corinthians 6:2).
We are always dying and rising to new life,
but especially on this day.
We are all the actors in this story: the people shouting “Crucify him!”
and the women who stand vigil at the foot of the cross,
the soldiers who cast lots for his tunic
and Joseph of Arimathea who gave his own tomb for Jesus’ burial.

Today we lament the pain of this world
and we face our complicity in that pain;
We seek to be witnesses to--and participants in
--God’s power over the evil of this world.
Now is the acceptable time – the time when Christ’s death sets us free to choose life.

We Listen for God's Word

Lament            Based on Psalm 22:1-21a
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far away?
I cry out to you by day, but you do not answer;
and at night, I find no rest.
I am scorned and despised, all who see me mock me and shake their heads.
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Our ancestors trusted in you, cried out to you, and you delivered them.
They enthroned you with praise.
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Yet you took me from the womb, and from my birth you have been my God.
Do not be far from me, for trouble is near.
My troubles surround me like lions ready to pounce.
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
I am poured out like water, and all my bones are dust; my heart is like wax, melting inside; my tongue is dry and I cannot speak; my limbs are nothing, and my ribs are bare.
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
My enemies encircle me; they stare and gloat;
they divide my clothes among themselves, and for my clothing they cast lots.
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
But you, O Savior, do not be far away!
O my Help, come quickly to deliver me!

Sung Response     Jesus, Remember Me         VU 148

The Passion Narrative          John 18:1-19:42

Responsive Hymn  Beneath the Cross of Jesus     VU 135

(one verse to be sung after each reading)

We Respond in Faith

Draping of the Cross & Meditative Action

Prayers of Confession and Intercession
for the Affliction of the World

Response: One: O God, All: how have we forsaken you?

Sung Response:

Kyrie eleison, kyrie eleison, kyrie elison.
Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy,
Lord have mercy on us.                VU 946


One: Now is the acceptable time!
Help us to be your hands, Holy One,
All: reaching out to heal the hurting of this world.
One: Help us to be your ears, Holy One,
All: hearing and understanding the cries for justice and mercy.
One: Help us to be your arms, Holy One,
All: embracing the sorrow and offering comfort.
One: Help us to be your feet, Holy One,
All: walking with those who suffer and guiding the journey toward peace.
One: Let us not forsake you any longer, O God.
All: Now is the acceptable time!

The Lord's Prayer

We Go To Serve God

Words of Hope        based on Psalm 22:21b-31

The Righteous One has not hidden from us,
but has heard our cries and come to our aid.
You who stand in awe of our God, shout for joy!
Our Rescuer saves us from the mouth of the lion and the horns of the wild oxen.
You who stand in awe of our God, sing praises!
The poor shall eat and be satisfied; those who seek comfort shall find it.
You who stand in awe of our God, tell of God’s goodness!
The ends of the earth, the families of nations, will worship our Deliverer.
You who stand in awe of our God, bow down and rise up!
Proclaim deliverance to all generations, saying that God has done this!
Thanks be to God!

Extinguishing of Christ Candle


The service ends without a benediction but rather in silence. Use the silence as an opportunity for personal reflection, and then leave in your own time.


Service adapted from:

See! Now is the Acceptable Time: Part II: Good Friday Noon Prayer Service was written by the Rev. Mary Nelson Abbott, Pastor of Malletts Bay Congregational Church UCC in Colchester, VT.

Copyright 2016 Local Church Ministries, Faith Formation Ministry Team, United Church of Christ, 700 Prospect Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115-1100. Permission granted to reproduce or adapt this material for use in services of worship or church education. All publishing rights reserved.