Friday 21 June 2013

ORDER OF SERVICE SUNDAY JUNE 23RD 2013-SACRAMENT OF COMMUNION

The Congregations of St. Mark’s and St. David’s
United Church of Canada
Port Hawkesbury/Port Hastings, NS
Office: 625-2229, Fax 625-3597, e-mail: stmarks1@eastlink.ca
Blog: http://ourcontactonline.blogspot.com/
Ministers: Whole People of God
Minister: Nan Corrigan D. M. Music Director: Al Fougere
June 23rd, 2013-Sacrament of Communion
5th after Pentecost-Grad Recognition

Silence is God’s first language; everything else is a poor translation. In order to hear that language, we must learn to be still and to rest in God.” – Thomas Keating quoted in The Sun & Moon Over Assisi by Gerard Thomas Straub
Prelude: Al Fougere & Dennis Mac Donald
Announcements The Work of Church and Community

WE GATHER TO WORSHIP GOD

Greeting
One: The peace of Christ be with you. All: And with your spirit.
* Introit Spirit of Life VU 381
Spirit of Life, come unto me.
Sing in my heart all the stirrings of compassion.
Blow in the wind, rise in the sea;
move in the hand, giving life the shape of justice.
Roots hold me close; wings set me free;
Spirit of Life, come to me, come to me.
*Call to Worship Add your voice when you come to a phrase that applies to you. In this way we signify God’s welcome to us, no matter how we are feeling.
One: God meets us and asks us, “What are you doing here?” How shall we answer?
People: We come to learn.
We come to pray. We come to praise.
We come to question.
We come in anger or grief.
We come in joy.
We come with certainty.
We come with fears and doubts.
One: God meets us here. So here we gather. Here we worship.
Here we ask, tell, listen, receive, offer, and celebrate.
People: That’s what we shall do here.
* Hymn Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah VU 651
Opening Prayer
Holy One, it is so easy to feel outside: to feel like I don’t belong.
I don’t always know what to say. I don’t always know how to act. Thank you that I am welcome here. Thank you for this group of people who accept me as I am. Thank you that you accept me as I am. Help me to open my ears and my heart to hear what I need to hear today; to see what I need to see today; to say what I need to say today. Amen.

WE LISTEN FOR GOD’S WORD

Hearing a Silent Voice: Based on 1 Kings 19:1-15a
This is the witness of the Hebrew people. All: Thanks be to God.
* Psalm 42 (sung) As the Deer Pants for the Water VU 766
Opening the Word/Children's Time
Galatians 3:23–29 All one in Christ.
This is the witness of the early church: Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ.
Reflection

WE RESPOND IN FAITH

* Hymn In Christ There Is No East or West VU 606
Blessing of Chemo Caps
Minute for Mission & Offering Our Gifts to God
* Offering Prayer
Gracious, giving God: your gifts of compassion and mercy are always ours, and we give you thanks for them. Now we offer gifts to you – gifts of time, talent, effort and treasure – gifts that are not flashy or perfect, but that, we pray, may reflect your compassion and mercy to this hurting world. Amen.
* Communion Hymn We Gather Here VU 469
Sacrament of Communion Insert, cover of Voices United
Distribution Hymn One Bread, One Body VU 467

WE GO TO SERVE GOD

* Hymn We Shall Go Out with Hope of Resurrection VU 586
* Commissioning and Benediction

* Choral Amen