Thursday 1 April 2021

Good Friday Service April 2, 2021

THE UNITED CHURCH OF CANADA

ST. MARK’S COMMUNITY OF FAITH

PORT HAWKESBURY, NS


April 2, 2021

 


 

Pulpit Supply:  Pastor Keith Wiseman, DLM

Music:  Adam Cooke



Prelude:     “Go to Dark Gethsemane”                     VU #133


Let Us Together Kneel at The Cross

“Jesus, Remember Me, When You Come into Your Kingdom”


(2 minute silence)


Pastoral Prayer:

Loving and gracious God, we gather in the gloom and grief on this Good Friday. As we imagine the pain that this day brought to you, handling over your beloved to the powers of cruelty, opportunity, hatred and fear – we can only marvel at the depth of your love for us. For it was to save us that you sent Jesus to face the worst within humanity. For it was to heal us that Jesus was battered. For it was to give us life that Jesus was overwhelmed by death. In your love for us, you put aside your love for Christ and gave him to the world, knowing that we would do our worst. And so, gracious God, our hearts are grateful, because in this love, we know forgiveness and we know new life.   Amen.


The Crucifixion: John  19: 14-27


Forsaken Friday and Sad Friday


Hymn:           “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross”         VU #149


The Crucifixion:  John 19: 28-42


Difficult Friday and Good Friday


We Bless you, Jesus


We bless you Jesus, you are God’s beloved.

You help me remember that I am God’s beloved.

We bless you Jesus, you were driven by God’s will.

You help me to do the same.

We bless you Jesus, you made time to discern God’s will.

You encourage me to pray.

We bless you Jesus, you did not compromise your principles.

You help me to uphold my integrity.

We bless you Jesus, you shared your gifts to help people.

You show me what God’s love looks like.

We bless you Jesus, you learned to be content living with less.

You cause me to look at my greed.

We bless you Jesus, you threw tables and called the money-changers hypocrites.

You encourage me to speak up and do something about injustice.

We bless you Jesus, you sent the disciples out two by two.

        You motivate me to tell others about God’s love.

We bless you Jesus, you shared your truth.

You compel me to be honest.

We bless you Jesus, you confronted the authorities of your day.

You cause me to ask questions when I see injustice.

We bless you Jesus, you came to bring peace.

You tell me to speak out for peace.

We bless you Jesus, you claimed to be King of a Kingdom of love and peace and ended up being crucified like a common criminal, resting in God’s arms.

This is Good Friday, but Sunday is coming!



Hymn:       “Jesus Keep me Near the Cross”                 VU #142



(The Christ Candle is extinguished. You are invited to leave in silence)




Mission Statement


St. Marks’s United Church accepts

and welcomes all people as we

grow in acceptance, learn, love, 

and share our Christian faith in

God’s love. We will celebrate 

God’s presence and advance

God’s purpose within our local

community and the global village

by applying Christ’s teachings to 

our daily lives.