Saturday 18 July 2015

OUR "PRAYER FISH" IS ON ITS WAY TO GENERAL COUNCIL


Last Sunday during worship we prepared our "Prayer Fish" to be sent to General Council. A “prayer fish”, which is like a prayer flag, is intended to carry our congregations' prayers and hopes for the church at this time. They will be used to hang vertically in the space where commissioners, from sea to sea to sea, will gather in Corner Brook, Newfoundland. The scales of our prayer fish are post-it notes on which we wrote prayers for General Council, the church and the world. It has prayers on both sides and includes the names of both our churches. 

We are invited to say a Pilgrim Prayer out loud each day in the 40 days of the Prayer Pilgrimage leading up to General Council 42, along with the specific prayer for the day.

This prayer was created in 2010 by Allison Rennie and Diane Ransom and said aloud each day while walking the Camino de Santiago. We are also invited to pray this prayer during each day of General Council.

Pilgrim Prayer
May I love this day and all that it brings
The dust, stones or mud beneath my feet
The air I breathe, food I eat, water I drink
May I open my heart to mysteries along the way
Greet fellow pilgrims with welcome and grace
Move lightly and simply through the day
May I give thanks for the Earth, our fragile home
For all my relations who have gone before me
And for all who will follow... I am not alone

May the spirit and blessing of the One who is love
- Holy One among us, all around us, and within us -
Be with me today, and surround me with love